The Rural Community and Economic Development Division
The Rural Community and Economic Development Division of Nevada Governor’s Office of Economic Development (GOED) is tasked with promoting and facilitating community development throughout rural Nevada. The overarching objective is to build prosperity and enhance the quality of life in rural Nevada.
Community development is the process of managing change within communities and involves:
- Dialogue among community members to decide their shared vision of the future.
- Reaching consensus on what needs to be done to achieve that vision.
- Communication, cooperation and collaboration within the community and with resource-providers in achieving that vision.
Some critical issues involved in community development are:
- Infrastructure development and improvement.
- Education and workforce development.
- Job creation through entrepreneurship, business development etc.
- Social problems (such as affordable housing, crime, substance abuse etc.).
- Enhancing cultural and recreational programs.
- Promoting charitable giving within local communities.
- Youth retention, especially in rural communities.
- Leadership development and civic engagement.
- Developing and improving the quality of governmental services.
- Marketing the community, developing tourism and utilizing other natural resources.
The Rural Community and Economic Development Division and its many partners are engaged in promoting and facilitating development and growth throughout rural Nevada.