October 21, 2021
CARSON CITY, Nev. – Governor Steve Sisolak and Michael J. Brown, Executive Director of the Nevada Governor’s Office of Economic Development, are pleased to announce that the State has been awarded a $1 million Statewide Planning Grant as part of the $3 billion in disbursements from the Economic Development Administration, American Rescue Plan funds. This grant will be used to assist in Nevada’s efforts to rebuild and recover from the effects of the pandemic by diversifying the economy and creating resiliency to future economic turmoil.
“In conjunction with my listening tour, this grant enhances Nevada’s ability to plan for the influx of money that the State will receive from the President’s Build Back Better agenda,” said Governor Steve Sisolak. “I am proud that Nevada is one of the first states to receive these grants, as this augmented planning will assist in the betterment and broadening of Nevada’s economy.”
Nevada is among 24 States that are the first to receive the EDA American Rescue Plan grants. The State will be using the grant to:
- Analyze the needs of persistent poverty communities and formulate strategies to decrease disparities between these areas and more prosperous areas within the State.
- Identify State assets and economic resources and develop action plans that will benefit the State’s economy in a regional and global marketplace.
- Facilitate coordination with Tribes or other indigenous communities regarding State, regional, or local planning efforts that intersect with the Tribes’ interests and are supported by impacted Tribal communities.
- Support statewide broadband data collection and mapping efforts and develop statewide broadband deployment and technical assistance plans.
- Conduct a statewide skills assessment and analysis to help inform workforce development and training needs based on employers’ demand for skills, including coordination with the state labor market information agency and the state workforce development board.
- Catalog the State’s innovation and entrepreneurship assets including mechanisms to access capital and equity financing to support business development and expansion and address gaps in access to capital for underserved rural and urban communities.
- Undertake a statewide supply chain and logistics assessment to increase efficiencies.
More information on the EDA grant can be found here. \